Articles about yacht vacation rentals tell readers a lot of interesting things: what places to visit, what to see, where to take the best pictures, etc. But when it comes to the intricacies of organizing a trip, it turns out that almost no one shares the secrets of everyday life on Board. One of the most important tasks of travelers before a trip is to organize meals for the entire team on Board.
Menu planning for a yachting holiday
You can add anything you want to the food list on the yacht, but only after the main menu is agreed. Making the right menu is an important part of preparing for the trip, because it will be much easier to buy products from the ready-made list.
Before buying food boat, you need to consider several points:
- Group composition. If children or, for example, vegetarians go on a trip, their preferences should be taken into account.
- The preferences of each member of the group. If there are some products that no one eats, then you should not take them. Find out about the allergies of everyone on Board.
- Number of days on yacht vacation. In order not to make a mistake with the number of products, it is better to make a menu of Breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day. Products are purchased with the calculation not for the exact number of days of the boat cruise, but with the addition of another 2-3 days.
- Route. If you plan to stop frequently at ports, and you can spend money on food in local cafes and restaurants, you cannot take a lot of food with you, or take only the most necessary, and get fresh at the places of stops. It is also important to note that sometimes you will not be able to find familiar products in markets and stores, but there will be many others that are unfamiliar. You should be careful with them.
- The size of the boat. Sometimes the menu can be so large that the food will take up all the available space, leaving no space for other things.
- Cooking. It is necessary to immediately determine who will be engaged in cooking and whether someone will perform this role alone.
The terrain on which will run the way of your sailing tour, also has an influence on the menu. The hotter the sailing region, the more careful you need to be with perishable food, even if there is a mini-refrigerator on Board.
Basic list of products
Before your trip, we recommend that you read the basic list of the yacht food, which is most often taken with you:
- Fish and seafood (if there is no person on Board who will be engaged in fishing)
- Chicken, meat
- Cereals and pasta
- Dairy produce
- Butter, jams, honey
- Fruits, vegetables, berries, greens. Check all these products before loading on Board to immediately discard any pest-infested or damaged products
- Bread and other baked goods. It is better to take something that will not spoil quickly, such as crackers and bread
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Chocolate, energy bars
- Spices, salt, pepper, sugar
- Canned food, pickled vegetables and salads
- Tea, coffee
- Ginger. It is taken to add to tea for seasickness
You can add something of your own to this list, but don't go too far out of line. Everything is delicious, but not nutritious, it is better not to take it at all. Buy perishable food on the beach during stops. From semi-finished products and sausages should be abandoned. They are often forbidden to take them on Board. You can replace sausages with dried meat.
First of all, take care of the water. Drinking water should be plenty, the calculation is 1.5-2 liters per person. Taking into account the preparation of tea and coffee (noodles and puree in boxes), you can allocate 3 liters of water per day for each crew member.
Only after a sufficient amount of drinking water is purchased, you can think about other drinks. You can take juices, lemonades, and alcoholic beverages with you (you should be careful with them). You should also take a few bottles of mineral water.
Storage and packaging products
After selecting the products, you will need to apply them correctly. This also has its own peculiarities. Usually there is a refrigerator and freezer on Board, so the products can be easily sorted. Eggs, dairy products and cheeses, as well as vegetables and fruits are sent to the refrigerator, meat-to the freezer. Canned food, cereals and bread can be put in the kitchen Cabinet.
Fruit is better to put on the table from time to time, so that no one once again looks for anything in the refrigerator, making a mess.
You need to distribute products so that they are directly available, and the same product categories are added to the same place. A person must be assigned to the team to monitor food consumption in order to adjust the menu and purchases.
In order not to take extra garbage with you, you should get rid of the packaging on the products as much as possible — no plastic nets, cardboard boxes and glass. It is better to pack food in bags, containers (do not forget to sign), paper packages.
After purchasing fruits and vegetables, check their proximity, as some products are not allowed to lie next to each other.
Cooking and useful tips
If the ship has a hired crew, you will need to buy more food. If the tourists had hired a cook, about cooking foods it is possible to forget and to concentrate only on their purchase.
It is worth considering a few tips from those who already have experience of traveling on a yacht:
- Distribute the cooking schedule not among all crew members, but only among those who can and want to cook. This way you can avoid transferring products.
- If you do not want to do cooking, it is better to take only ready-to-eat products or eat a full meal at stops.
- If you want to save money, you can't do without cooking.
- Watch the weather forecast and prepare before going to sea. Wind and waves will rock the ship, which is why the stove will not be able to use.
- All food boxes are carefully closed. Even in calm weather, everything can fall out.
- Do not take plastic dishes on Board.
- You do not need to experiment much with products, prepare something that is easier and faster.
- Reduce the amount of fatty food in the menu, it is better to bet on carbohydrates.
Organizing meals on a yacht trip is not the easiest task, but if you rely on our advice, it can be much easier.